RUSSELL SEAL. By the beginning of the 20th Century the new craze of cycling had taken hold in Britain. Cycling gave people a new freedom to travel independently and many village cycling clubs sprang up. Cycles needed maintenance and the means to repair punctures on the poor roads at the time. Local entrepreneurs saw this business opportunity and William Seal, trading as W Seal & Son, developed a rubber solution for puncture repairs at Centre View. His son Russell developed other products and production moved to larger premises on what is now the Claylands development. The firm’s name was changed to Russell Seal and the business of cycling & automotive products moved into Northampton in 1921.
174 Station Road