The Grange was the Rectory until about 1991. Although the first National Census was in 1801, Rector of Cogenhoe, Christopher Spicer recognised the value of taking a census of a settlement. This he undertook between 1615 and 1628 and today is universally recognised as the first Census. It is valued as an historic document recording details of life in a village at that time.
A later resident of the Rectory in the 19th Century was the Curate Rev Charles Hartshorne from 1838 to 1854. He was instrumental in establishing the National School in the village and was an artist of local scenes. His son Albert was a recognised antiquarian.